RBakerPC

Google

Monday, August 22, 2005

Next Was Compute Magazine

While writing the PETpourri column for Kilobaud I wound up meeting Robert Locke, the publisher of Compute! magazine, and he asked me to write a few articles for his magazine. He was after programs, reviews and technical articles for the Commodore systems. He had acquired a number of Commodore-related newsletters and combined them into a bimonthly glossy magazine. Well I wound up writing 17 articles for Compute! and Compute! PC/PCjr magazines that were published between 1980 and 1984. Plus a few of those articles were reprinted in five books that were published by Compute! Publications between 1981 and 1985.

With the Compute! articles I got to write a lot of utilities, including the highly popular BASIC program compactor and uncompactor utilities for the Commodore systems. And when some of my Commodore contacts went over to Atari I wound up writing a few articles about the Atari 400 and 800 home computer systems also.

While writing for Compute! Publications I even got invited down to their offices in North Carolina and met with the publisher, Robert Locke and some of his co-workers. He actually offered me a full time job with their book division but my wife wasn't up to relocating or having me commuting to NC, so we passed on the opportunity. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had taken him up on the offer!

Here's a list of my articles that were published in Compute! magazine:
  • An Easier Method of Saving Data Plus Home Accounting (Jan/Feb-80, p.23)
  • D&R Cassette System (May/Jun-80, p.86) - review
  • Word Pro Converter (Sep/Oct-80, p.89)
  • Compactor (Sep/Oct-80, p.104)
  • Disk Lister (Nov/Dec-80, p.110)
  • The Atari 825 Printer (Feb-81, p.24) - review
  • Atari Memory Dump & Disassembler (Mar-81, p.80)
  • Atari Super Breakout & Others (Apr-81, p.105)
  • Stud Poker (May-81, p.89) - review
  • Un-compactor (May-81, p.124)
  • PET/CBM Disk Formats (Jun-81, p.106)
  • Atari Data (Jul-81, p.128)
  • Atari Disk File Dump (Oct-81, p.110)
  • Insurance Inventory (Feb-82, p.28)
  • Word Hunt (Mar-82, p.68)
  • Disk Explorer for Commodore (Dec-83, p.298)

There was also one of my articles that appeared in Compute's PC & PCjr magazine:

  • Word Hunt (Mar-84, p.82)

And here's a list of the Compute! books with some of my articles:

  • Compute!'s First Book of PET/CBM (1981) - Home Budget (p.166), Disk Lister (p.183) and Compactor (p.190)
  • Compute!'s First Book of Atari Games (1983) - Word Hunt (p.109)
  • Compute!'s Easy BASIC Programs for the IBM PC & PCjr (1984) - Word Hunt (p.33)
  • Easy BASIC Programs for the Apple (1985) - Word Hunt (p.39)
  • Compute!'s First Book of IBM (1985) - Word Hung (p.169)

2 Comments:

  • Were you involved in Q-Link at all? There are some hackers (including the venerable Jim Brain) working on getting it running again under a new guise. Check out this link for more info.

    Cheers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

  • Yes, I was with Q-Link from before it went live to the public for quite a few years... then involved with PC-Link and eventually America Online. I'll get into some of that in the coming days. I just wanted to cover a lot of the writing background first that led up to the online days. Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to check it out!

    By Blogger RBakerPC, at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home